Pesto Salad with Barley, Asparagus, Mozzarella & Tomatoes
This Mediterranean salad really packs a flavour punch. I love the texture of the barley combined with a hit of garlicky basil pesto. You could serve this with whatever roast veg you like.
- 100g Parmesan (block)
- 60-100g fresh basil (around 1 bunch)
- 60g virgin olive oil
- 40g pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g unpearled barley
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- vine-ripened tomatoes, or larger tomatoes quartered
- 4 mozzarella balls (or 8 bocconcini balls)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place parmesan in thermal bowl. Mill on speed 18 using the EXPERT program.
- Place parmesan, basil, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic and salt in the large food processor bowl. Mix on speed 11 until combined. Set aside while you cook the barley.
- Place the barley, along with 1.5 litres water in the thermal bowl. EXPERT / 45 minutes / speed 0 / 95 degrees / cap ON. Drain under cold water to cool.
- While barley is cooking bake the asparagus and tomatoes in the oven for 30 minutes, drizzled with a splash of olive oil.
- Mix together the pesto and the barely, and serve with the roasted asparagus and tomatoes, and torn mozzarella. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper before serving.