Making these cookies brings back many fond memories of baking with my nephew, niece and other special littles. Of course the favourite part for any child is the icing! Our icing was a simple mix of icing sugar, a drop or two of food colour, and enough lemon juice to make a thick paste. We always included colourful sprinkles on our loveheart-shaped cookies we called “I Love You Cookies”. Making this dough in the Magimix Cook Expert Food Processor is a cinch.
- 240g brown sugar
- 125g butter, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 310g self raising flour
- 55g golden syrup
- 8g ground ginger
- 200g icing sugar
- lemon juice
- food colouring, sprinkles to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Place sugar and butter in the large food processor bowl. Process on speed 13 for 1 minute.
- Add egg yolk, golden syrup and ginger. Process on speed 8 for 1 minute.
- Add flour and process until the mixture comes together. Stop and scrape down the sides with the spatula if needed.
- Form into a ball and roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper, until dough is about 5mm thick. Cut out into desired shapes. Lift shapes off the baking paper by sliding a knife underneath and gently lifting. Place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before icing and decorating.
- To make the icing combine icing sugar with enough lemon juice so it forms a thick paste. Add food colouring as desired.