Pimp Your Pantry Pasta Sauce
A thick, full-flavoured sauce made from everyday pantry staples. It makes up a huge batch of 5 cups, so any leftovers can be used the following day or popped in the freezer.
- Place onions and garlic in the thermal bowl. EXPERT / 10 seconds / speed 13 / 0 degrees / cap ON.
- Scrape down the sides. Add oil. EXPERT / 10 minutes / speed 3 / 140 degrees / cap OFF.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock paste, basil, vinegar, sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. EXPERT / 35 minutes / 2A / 120 degrees / cap OFF. Place a piece of paper towel over the opening in the lid to reduce splatter.
If you wish, you might like to try one of the variations below, all depending on what you have in your pantry and fridge. The possibilities are endless:
- Add diced bacon, ham, prosciutto or chorizo at step 2.
- Brown some mince in a frying pan then add this sauce for a delicious and easy bolognaise.
- Add a tin or two of beans, lentils or chickpeas to up the fibre and vegetarian protein content.
- Add grated vegetables such as carrot, pumpkin, celery or sweet potato (whatever you have on hand) at step 3 to increase the (hidden) veggie content.